Peer Reviewed Publications
- Budischak, S.A., D. O’Neal, A.E. Jolles, and V.O. Ezenwa. Differential host responses to parasitism shape divergent fitness costs of infection. Functional Ecology. In Press.
- L.V. Austin*, S.A. Budischak, J. Ramadhin*, E.P. Hoberg, A. Abrams, A.E. Jolles, and V.O. Ezenwa. 2017. A comparison of two methods for quantifying parasitic nematode fecundity. Parasitology Research, in press: http://rdcu.be/qwVc
- Henley, W., J.J. Schmerfeld, S.A. Budischak, C.M. Hall, R.J. Neves, S. Ciparis, and J.W. Jones. 2016. Freshwater mussel (Unionidae) abundance and diversity upstream and downstream of a superfund site on the North Fork Holston River, Saltville, Virginia. Journal of Shellfish Research, 35:875-883.
- Budischak, S.A., Art Abrams, Eric Hoberg, A.E. Jolles, and V.O. Ezenwa. 2016. Experimental insight into the process of parasite community assembly. Journal of Animal Ecology, 85:1222-1233.
- P.R. Stephens, S. Altizer, K.F. Smith, A.A. Aguirre, J.H. Brown, S.A. Budischak, J.E. Byers, J.T. Davies, J.M. Drake, V.O. Ezenwa, M.J. Farrell, J.L. Gittleman, B.A. Han, S. Huang, R.A. Hutchinson, P.T. Johnson, C.L. Nunn, D. Onstad, A. Park, G.M. Vazquez-Prokopec, J.P. Schmidt, R. Poulin. 2016. The macroecology of infectious diseases: a new perspective on global-scale drivers of pathogen distributions and impacts. Ecology Letters, 19:1159-1171.
- Budischak, S.A., Art Abrams, Eric Hoberg, A.E. Jolles, and V.O. Ezenwa. 2015. A combined parasitological molecular approach for noninvasive characterization of parasitic nematode communities in wild hosts. Molecular Ecology Resources, 15:1112-1119.
- Budischak, S.A., K. Sakamoto, L.C. Megow*, K.R. Cummings, J.F. Urban, Jr, and V.O. Ezenwa. 2015. Resource limitation alters the consequences of co-infection for both hosts and parasites. International Journal for Parasitology, 45:455-463.
- Hopkins, W.A., C. Bodinof, S.A. Budischak, and C. Perkins. 2013. Nondestructive indices of mercury exposure in three species of turtles occupying different trophic niches downstream from a former chloralkali facility. Ecotoxicology 22:22-32.
- Budischak, S.A., A.E. Jolles, and V.O. Ezenwa. 2013. Direct and indirect costs of co-infection in the wild: linking GI parasite communities, host hematology and immune function. International Journal for Parasitology: Parasites and Wildlife, 1:2-12.
- Bergeron, C.M., K.M. Bodinof, S.A. Budischak, H. Wada, J.M. Unrine, and W.A. Hopkins. 2011. Counterbalancing effects of maternal mercury exposure during different stages of early ontogeny in American toads. Science of the Total Environment 409:4746-4752.
- Budischak, S.A., L.K. Belden, and W.A. Hopkins. 2009. Relative toxicity of malathion to trematode-infected and noninfected Rana palustris tadpoles. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology. 56:123-128.
- Budischak, S.A., L.K. Belden, and W.A. Hopkins. 2008. The effects of malathion on embryonic development and latent susceptibility to trematode parasites in ranid tadpoles. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 27:2496-2500.
- Hester, J. M., S.A. Budischak, and M.E. Dorcas. 2008. The Davidson College Box Turtle Mark-Recapture Program: Urban Herpetological Research Made Possible by Citizen Scientists. In R. E. Jung and J. C. Mitchell (eds.), Urban Herpetology. Herpetological Conservation V.3, Society for the Study of Amphibians and Reptiles. Salt Lake City, UT.
- Budischak, S.A., J.M. Hester, S.J. Price, and M.E. Dorcas. 2006. Natural history of Terrapene carolina (box turtles) in an urbanized landscape. Southeastern Naturalist. 5:191-204.
- Ripperton, J.G., P.A. Peroni, and S.A. Budischak. 2006. Effects of burial on seed germination and seedling performance in white campion (Silene latifolia). Journal of the North Carolina Academy of Science 122:29-38.
In Review and in Preparation (full manuscripts)
- Budischak, S.A., D. O’Neal, A.E. Jolles, and V.O. Ezenwa. Host responses shape the divergent fitness costs of infection. (in Revision, Functional Ecology)
- Beechler, B.R., A.E. Jolles, S.A. Budischak, P.L.A.M. Corstjens, V.O. Ezenwa, M. Smith*, R. Spaan, G. van Dam, and M. Steinauer. Natural history of schistosome infection in a free-living mammalian host population (submitted).
- Ezenwa, V.O., A.E. Jolles, S.A. Budischak, B.R. Beechler, and E. Gorsich. Causes and consequences of parasite interactions in African buffalo. Wildlife Disease Ecology: Linking Theory to Data and Application. Eds: K. Wilson, A. Fenton, and D. Tompkins. (book chapter, submitted)
- Budischak, S.A., A.E. Wiria, F. Hamid, L.J. Wammes, L. van Lieshout, E. Sartono, T. Supali, M. Yazdanbakhsh, and A. Graham. Resource competition drives infection severity in human malaria-hookworm co-infections.
- van Leeuwen, A., S.A. Budischak, A.L. Graham, C. Cressler. A dynamic energy budget model of host-parasite interactions and the emergence of bi-stable acute and chronic infections.
- M. Leung, C. Hansen, S.A. Budischak, R. Neill*, R. Bowcutt, H.T. Chung, M. Shellman*, E.C. Cope, E. Gould, P. Loke, and A.L. Graham. The shock of the new: Rapid environmental effects on gut communities and systemic physiology of re-wilded mice.
* indicates undergraduate researchers